Little Boy Big Prayer


I had just scratched and tickled Silas' back while I tucked him in.  I prayed for him, thanked Jesus for progress, kissed his head and started to walk out.  I passed by Abram's bed on the way out of the room and he said to me, "Mom, you pray po (for) me?"
I knelt down by his bed and asked what he would like me to pray for.  He rolled his big brown eyes and placed his first finger on his chin while making the "hmm" sound.  He then said quickly, "whama." 
"Grandma?" As I need to clarify his mumbly dialect. 

He said, "no, whate-whama."

"Great-Grandma?" 

"uh-huh," he said with bright eyes.

We began to pray.  We thanked Jesus for Great-Grandma, we asked Him to wrap His big loving arms around her as she rested well.  We also asked that Great-Grandma would be reminded of how much we love her.  

I said Amen, leaned forward and kissed little Abe on the head.  He gushed.

I stand up and hear a weak little voice, it's Silas saying, "Mom, I want to pray."

I assume he means he wants me to pray with him, like I did with Abe.  

I start to walk over to his bed and before I am able to sit down he says, "I want to pray."

I sit on the edge of his bed, place my hand on his bony hip that I can feel through his thick, fluffy blanket and we close our eyes. 

He is hard to understand as his words are kind of mumbling together because he is weak.  He has a speech impetament that sometimes makes it difficult to make out his words even under the best conditions, so I didn't hear everything he said.  Jesus did though.  

Silas' quiet voice whispers "Jesus heal Mom's back..(something something)..we'll have a party...(something something)...best day ever." The prayer lasted about a minute or so and his request was sincere and heart wrenching in the best way.  

I knew that if I was to be healed by our great redeemer while on this earth, it would be from these words spoken from the heart of a sick child for his Momma.

The amazing thing in all this is, he was sick, he had been sick for 5 full days now.  He was weak and tired, and there he layed in his bed thinking of someone other than himself.  He didn't ask for me to pray for him, he didn't ask Jesus why he had to feel so icky, he thought to bring someone else to the feet of his Father.  

Lord bless this little boy with this big prayer.  What grace you have shown on our family for bringing him back to health.  You didn't have to.  You love him, you love me.  Thank you Jesus. 



Comments

Popular Posts