Awesome



(I feel like I have written this story before, but it is such a great one, I'll go for it again.)

My son Lucas, is a little guy in stature, but has a large, tender heart. Ever since he started school he has recognized that he is the smallest boy in his class, and only second to the smallest of all the kids in his grade. Bless his heart.
The other kids had been teasing him about his size and Lucas would come home telling of his frustration. Not that he was frustrated about his size, but that kids would choose to tease him over this.

Of course Kendal and I would talk to him about how wrong it was for those kids to tease, not just him, but that teasing even takes place. We explained how to properly stand up for himself, the reasons why kids might tease and let his teacher in on what was going on. We felt we had everything in
place to make a successful run at school...and bullies.

It didn't really stop. The taunts kept rolling in.

There was further conversation in our home but this one went deeper than the practical. It sat close to his heart and reminded Lucas of where his confidence came from.

Kendal dropped Lucas off at school every morning and started a habit. Something that would go beyond the practical of standing up for himself. Something that would be stitched lovingly close to the heart and resinate throughout the day.

When Kendal would pull up to the school in the old black Nissan, Lucas in his booster seat in the back, Kendal would look at him and say, "What do I think of you?"
Lucas would know from the previous motivating conversations to say, (in his timid voice), "That I'm Awesome."
You could tell he believed it because he began to smile, it was recognized that he is MORE than just his size and his outward appearance, because no matter what, "Dad thinks I'm Awesome."

Everyday there after, when it was time for Lucas to be dropped off, the car would come to a stop, Kendal would look over his shoulder and say, "Goodbye Lucas, have a good day, what do I think of you?" And in a self-assured voice, Lucas responds with, "That I'm Awesome!"

Last week, Lucas brought up the painful subject again in anticipation of getting back into the routine of school. His anxieties cropped up. We had to walk through all the practical again. This morning, the morning of his first day in 2nd grade, we got to brand this little guy for what he truly is: Awesome.


Ultimately, this is an earthly perspective of what our Heavenly Father thinks of us. No matter what our outward appearance, no matter what anyone else might say or think. He probably wishes we could *get it* and brand it on our hearts.


Comments

  1. I love this. I wish I could remember to remind myself of this from my heavenly father!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts